Friday, February 25, 2011

Thinking of Summer

The little blast of spring weather made me dream of summer and warm sunshine.  After some brainstorming and inspiring talk with Mom, I was prompted to think of some new designs with summer as inspiration. 

Fish--what could be more summer-like?!

I started by sawing out little minnows and larger fish shapes.

Here are the minnows on the soldering block.  They are awaiting the torch to solder the jumprings to their mouths.  
After working up the fish pendants, I started playing with watery-color beads.  Here's a couple in process.


And finally the finished pieces:

A large alewife pendant strung on blue chalcedony beads.  I think my favorite part is the fish clasp.  I like to pay particular attention to the finishing of necklaces--the clasp is as important as the pendant and also adds interest and design to the back side of the necklace.  


 These silver minnows are one inch high and strung with watery-green apatite coin beads. 


And the last piece for today is a large sunfinsh pendant strung on a double strand of amazonite coin beads.  


It's a great start to some summer inventory.  There are more fish-inspired pieces to come, I only wish the weather was as cooperative!  It's snowing--again!

No comments:

Post a Comment