Sunday, April 11, 2010

Changing Gears

After a few weeks of focusing on flower inspired jewelry, I decided to go back to one of my abstract series based around reticulation.  Reticulation by definition:  "Reticulation is a heat induced texturing process of sheet metal, utilizing specific natural properties of the silver alloy 80/20. The fluid relief pattern can be accomplished through an oxide protective skin build-up followed by localized liquification of the encased sheet metal in a row-pattened method."  My reticulation is mostly about getting a three-dimensional texture on the metal and then embellishing the surface with additional silver or gold balls, wire, and sometimes stones. 

I spent the day in the studio and was focused on getting some new reticulated bracelets made.  I've been making a lot of pendants and pins lately and realized that I was lacking bracelets, so I launched right in and made two new designs. 
     

The first is a 20g reticulated silver bangle that overlaps itself and at the joint is embellished with some sterling balls. The metal is 1 1/4 inches wide.  I used the torch to softly melt and curve the edges which created a nice wave that isn't sharp for comfortable wear.  The brushed finish is highlighted by the highs and lows in the textured surface.



The second bracelet is a cuff style.  It is 1 3/4 inches wide and has wire squiggles, sterling balls, and a 12mm peristerite cabochon bezel set on it.  I used the torch to soften these edges as well.  The brushed finish creates a softness to the design which relates to the final surface texture, along with a short time tumbling with stainless steel shot and this bracelet's highlights are lightly polished. 
 

I'll follow up in the next couple of weeks with other examples of my reticulated jewelry.  I'm most excited about a new necklace that is still in the design stages, but will use some amazing black tourmaline beads and hopefully matrix die formed, reticulated silver beads between them.  Keep your fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment