Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Rocks

This weekend I went to the Maine Mineralogical and Geological Society's Gem and Mineral Show in Portland.  It's an annual event and always a fun show to visit, not just for the rocks, but the people watching is something!  I never leave empty handed and this year was no different.  I arrived at USM on opening day at opening time.  I walked the show absorbing what was there and noting what was most interesting to me.  After the initial assessment, I went to work.  I first purchased from Guy and Kim Pilla from Fryeburg.  Guy cuts beautiful cabs and I could easily see them in my jewelry designs. 

From agates to jaspers to beryl and dinosaur bone, I made my selections.  I envision most of these stones for use in pendants, pins, and necklaces.   

Next I headed over to another interesting table and visited with Tim Pratt from Global Pathways in Stowe, VT, and had lots of fun selecting from his inventory.  I came away with some lovely stones including several 
kyanites for rings and earrings, 

opals for earrings and pendants, 

and labradorites for necklaces and/or pendants.

My mind is spinning with new ideas and I can hardly wait to get back in the studio and get the new designs going. 

No comments:

Post a Comment