Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Craft of Maine


I was recently included in the March issue of Maine Home + Design magazine's feature Craft of Maine. The article featured 2 of my designs, including "Daisy Dance" one of my favorite flower pieces and one of the inspirations that has my continuing to design in this series.   I love pearls of all shapes and sizes and always felt that the daisy design would lend itself well strung with pearls.  This is a photo of the newly designed gold and silver daisy dance.  There are seven 18k gold daisies, as well as eight sterling silver.  I decided for this piece to have the flowers on shorter wires to keep them closer to the neck and not to detract from the beautiful lustre of the pearls. 

I got some great response from the article from friends and strangers alike and was commissioned to make a similar necklace with crystal quartz beads.  I was so pleased and suprised at how springlike the new necklace looks, which proves another reason to create a series of work--a subtle change in design can make an amazing new design difference. 

Next time I'll talk about the ring "Baubles" also included in the article and how I've returned to make some new designs within that series.

No comments:

Post a Comment