Monday, May 10, 2010

This and That

Days are flying by and I haven't had much energy for creating.  But...I keep trying.  Yesterday, I spent the day working on a new gold ring.  I've wanted to make a ring with a center diamond and thought why not do it today and jumped right in.  Working with 18k royal yellow gold, I made a tube setting for the .50ct diamond and soldered it within the lowdome ring shank.  I thought the ring needed a little something more, so I added 2 small Sleeping Beauty turquoise cabochons to either side of the diamond and went with it.  The finished ring is very comfortable and wearable.   


Today I needed a little help getting inspired, so I asked and my mom suggested links.  I love links--circles, squares, ovals joining to make bracelets and necklaces and earrings and thought this was as good a starting point as any.  I looked through my drawers of materials and pulled together all the leftover links I had from previous projects and decided to put them all together.  Small, large, round, oval, hammered and stamped, once linked together, they hang beautifully as a long necklace. 


The necklace went together so well (and fast), that I decided to go ahead and try to complete one more thing.  (I have to go back to work tomorrow, so I tried to use every minute of my day off today.)  Earlier I reticulated a small piece of silver and decided to cut it in half and make a pair of earrings.  These are 1 1/2 inches long and about 2mm wide.  I added the silver bars and balls and then the amber nugget beads to complete the design.  A successful design in one of my continuing series. 

Like I said, a little bit of this and that this weekend, but definitely all usable.  

1 comment:

  1. Saw some of these exquisite pieces in person today....amazing work Christine...a truly talented artist!

    ReplyDelete